This is a list of practical tips for international travel with babies and tots. It’s not easy, but it’s totally worth it.
-These are tips and tricks that have been helpful for us-
1. A designated passport bag. We travel with FIVE passports, so I like to keep them in an unmistakable bag. If I have to hand them to my husband, I’m not digging around in a pocket of my luggage. Handing him a bag as opposed to five loose passports over the seats of a plane helps us to avoid headaches.
2. Fill out your customs/entry forms as soon as you can. There is a tiny bit of paperwork to be done when you arrive to a new country- as soon as you have a sleeping child or a free minute, ask the flight attendant if you can have the form(s). You don’t want to be struggling with pens and paper plus a cranky toddler later in the flight.
3. Bring an extra shirt for both parents. Do this. We have both been thrown up on unexpectedly.
4. Pack at least one outfit and underthings for everyone in your carry-on. Plus, more diapers than you will need. If your luggage gets lost, you’ll be prepared. Yes, this happened to us.
5. Snacks. New and interesting snacks. Put them in separate baggies and the kiddos think it’s amazing.
6. A portable DVD player and DVDs. We don’t have an I-Pad, so this works for us.
7. Go to your DOLLAR STORE before you leave! A new coloring book plus a few new toys are well worth it.
8. Lollipops for take-off and landing can help with ear popping.
9. Check with your air carrier, as some offer bassinets for babies on long-haul flights. This has to be set-up before the flight. This article gives step-by-step instructions for this.
10. There is a changing table on airplanes, but sometimes it is not visible to the naked eye. Tell the flight attendant you need it and they can prepare the space for you. By the way, they have been happy to help me with this, so don’t be afraid to ask!
Check out these other travel related topics and thank you for stopping by the Party of Five Blog today!
Tips for Using Airbnb with Toddlers
Five Tips for Getting Baby’s Passport
Great advice for all travelers but especially for those travelling with small children! Keep up the good work!